Chinese Sponge Cake Recipe (Ma La Gao Recipe)
1/2 cup Dark Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
1/2 teaspoon Ginger Powder
1/2 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Milk
1/2 tablespoon Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 cup All Purpose Flour
Cuisinart CSO-300 Steam Oven
Round Cake Mold
1. In a big bowl, mix brown sugar, sugar and vegetable oil together with a whisk. Add vanilla extract, eggs and milk into sugar mix until well blended.
2. Combine flour, salt, ginger powder and baking powder, sift 2 times.
3. Fold sifted flour into wet ingredients in 2 batches until just combined. (Do not over mix)
4. Pour batter into cake mold lined with parchment paper.
5. Place cake in steam oven, choose Steam setting, set to 210F degree for 20 minutes, let it sit for 10 minutes in the oven before removing it.( To check doneness, insert a toothpick in the middle of the cake, if it comes out clean, the cake is done.)